New member from Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member from Germany

Hi there, my name is Jens, I am from Hamburg, Germany. I just bought a 99 AIV Roadster ( or is is a 2000?). I am actually an exporter of used cars and machinery, but this Panoz is for me.
    About my Roadster (what I found out): It has been imported to Germany end of 1999 by Auto Konig Munich. That company went bankrupt and my Roadster was parked in a Hamburg storage garage… until 2012! The liquidator and a lawyer sorted out the legal title stuff and they paid the rent for the storage…The car got four new tyres, a battery and all fluids have been changed. The German roadwothy test was done and the car was frist registered in February 2013. Today it has 822 miles on the clock.
    The car is running fine, but the winter will come soon and I can drive it next year only. Here in the north of Germany we don’t have no roadster-weather.

Smaller problems I have to solve:
    The upper chome parts of the front shocks show some bubbles (corrosion) in the chrome. I will see if I can buy such parts or if I give them to re-chome.

The display, the removable faceplate of the stereo is missing. Sure, I can replace the stereo, but I am trying to keep the car in original condition. If somebody know where I can find such faceplate, please let me know.

The owners manual is missing, but I found a Pdf here – Thank You!!!

Best regards from Hamburg, Germany

Jens
    VIN: 1P9PA1826YB213001

You have what we call here a rare barn find
    What a great story
    Welcome

Comment

Welcome to the Panoz Life family! Great story, enjoy the roadster!

Comment

Welcome. For parts, I would check with Brandon Carver at the factory. He is the "Sourcing Manager". I needed a few bits for my Esperante, and he had them in stock at reasonable prices last month. Since they are updating the Roadster for production again, he may have access to improved part options for your car.

Brandon's email is BCarver@panoz.com.
        2006 Panoz Esperante GTLM, 1958 Austin-Healey "Bugeye" Sprite, 1967 Iso Grifo, 1969 Morris Mini Cooper S, 1974 Jensen Healey, 1981 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston, 1991 Lotus Elan, 2002 Mercedes Benz G500, 2004 Lotus Esprit, 2014 Jaguar F-Type, 2012 Audi Q7 TDI (the tow vehicle)

Comment

Welcome to the club. A great story indeed and certainly one for the books.
          I knew that Panoz made several cars in 2000 but were still titled as 1999's. More specifically, VIN numbers ending with serial #43-55 were all manufactured in year 2000 but still sold & titled as 99's. I uploaded "the anatomy of a Roadsters VIN" here - http://www.panozlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291 - a while back. I obtained this from the factory and the "added" model years under the 10th digit was already hand inscribed when I received it. The "Y" in the 10th digit as indicated on the document does denote that the car is a 2000'. This raises several more interesting questions:

Were the "Y" VIN'ed vehicles just sold overseas?
          How many "Y" VIN'ed vehicles were actually ever produced?
          How many AIV's were made after the 1999' model year and what did the VIN nomenclature of those units look like?
          Were there improvements to the "Y" VIN vehicles over the "X" VIN vehicles?
          Since the 2000' Esperante utilized an entirely different engine than that of the 97-99' Roadsters, is the "Y" VIN engine different than those former model years?

When time permits, I'd love to see some additional shots of your car if you wouldn't mind uploading some. In particular the cockpit, engine bay and birth label on the lower inside of the drivers side door (it will denote the VIN, manufactured date and recommended tire pressures).
          Last edited by 99panoz; 11-17-2013, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Interesting no metal bumpers???

Comment

Wow, thanks for sharing Jens.
              Definitely something to it that PADC made a 2000' AIV in August of 99' and my 99' AIV was made in December of 1999. Must have been something with US standards not allowing the advancement of a new model year.
              Looks great though......no bumpers (again with that Uncle Sam / nanny thing), different side mirrors, no wind wings (where the mirrors are), rear lighting where the bumper holes were, different tag lights, mesh insert in front grill (I LOVE that), different headlights and front turn signals.
              How about the interior? Any notable differences there?
              Have you ever researched how many AIV's made it to Germany?

Comment

Wow is right

That very well might be a one of a kind AIV roadster. Very cool.
                1. 1999 Panoz AIV roadster, SCT Xcal2, LDC cooling mod
                2. 2008 Audi S4 Avant
                3. 2014 Mini Cooper S Countryman

Comment

Welcome to Panoz Life!

Comment

Working...
                  X