Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heya all. Young Panoz fan here. I learned about them while watching the old LMP 1. I loved the sound of that thing, and how it always performed well, even if it was sometimes outmatched. I didn't see the Esperante a lot in racing although I heard about it. I now watch to see how the Abruzzi will do.

I'm not rich, so I'll probably never own one, but I would like to.

It's my intro thread, but I have a question: why is the Esperante out of production/ development? Why are they racing the Abruzzi I'd it's a limited time, tiny production car? Wouldn't they be better served by continuing with the Esperante and developing it into a GT power?

Originally posted by Teezoen View Post
    why is the Esperante out of production/ development? Why are they racing the Abruzzi I'd it's a limited time, tiny production car? Wouldn't they be better served by continuing with the Esperante and developing it into a GT power?

Welcome to Panoz Life!
    Very good question I will take a stab at it as I am sure others will as well:
    The sales expectations of the Esperante fell way short of what Panoz was expecting and I dont think it was profitable and being a very small domestic manufacturer it was very hard to compete on the street and on the track. The Abruzzi is a gamble as well, time will tell. I do have it from an authority that they are planning another car fot the US market just no time frame was given. Glad to have some "young blood" here.

Comment

Erg, that's not what I like to hear. That means that there won't be more Esperantes... Sigh.

Anyplace that offers up to date news on these developments, or is that just rumor?

Comment

Originally posted by Teezoen View Post
        Heya all. Young Panoz fan here. I learned about them while watching the old LMP 1. I loved the sound of that thing, and how it always performed well, even if it was sometimes outmatched. I didn't see the Esperante a lot in racing although I heard about it. I now watch to see how the Abruzzi will do.

I'm not rich, so I'll probably never own one, but I would like to.

It's my intro thread, but I have a question: why is the Esperante out of production/ development? Why are they racing the Abruzzi I'd it's a limited time, tiny production car? Wouldn't they be better served by continuing with the Esperante and developing it into a GT power?
        Welcome to Panoz Life. we are a small but enjoyable group. As I understand it; Panoz Mfg used many DOT approoved parts from Ford and the esperante was designed around them. One of them was the Fuel Tanks and system. The approoved mfg time for many of these parts had ended and it would require Panoz to re-engineer and re-certify the vehicle and the sales numbers were not there to justify the cost involved.

Glad your aboard.

Comment

Ah, so it's not generally worth the cost to a small manufacturer like Panoz to develop and brand their own (yet)?

That's unfortunate, but I'll look forward to their next project. At least I can race all their good stuff in Forza when 4 comes put.

In the meantime, I'll hang with you all.

Comment

My two cents on why the factory stopped selling the Esperante centers on side curtain airbags. Starting with the 2007 model year, US DOT required side airbags. Panoz filed an appeal for a variance given that they only sold 20 cars in 2005 and 2006. When I read the appeal somewhere on-line a few years ago, Panoz estimated that their costs to comply would in the $8 million range and that they could not do it based on their volume. The US response was that they had to protect our citizens and declined to give them a variance hence ending their ability to sell 2007 or later model year cars in the US. Soon after, Danny established the dealer in Qatar (guessing??) in which they only shipped one car. I always thought this was his way of showing up GW Bush and the rest of the administration at the time that the only all-American built car in our country could only be sold in the Middle East, not in the midwest due to government over regulation. Can't guarantee that my beliefs here are all facts, but that's the story I have been telling at cruise nights when people ask me why they are no longer sold. Any way you cut it, the Panoz family lost a heck of lot of money on each car sold. For that I thank them because I just love my car.
            2006 Panoz Esperante GTLM, 1958 Austin-Healey "Bugeye" Sprite, 1967 Iso Grifo, 1969 Morris Mini Cooper S, 1974 Jensen Healey, 1981 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston, 1991 Lotus Elan, 2002 Mercedes Benz G500, 2004 Lotus Esprit, 2014 Jaguar F-Type, 2012 Audi Q7 TDI (the tow vehicle)

Comment

Wow. That sucks. Hopefully they'll keep making them.

Comment

Just wanted to say I'm still here. Still hoping they can save themselves.

Comment

Teezoen/Newbie,

You may have seen my 1/12/12 response to vbjoseph's HiY'all thread.

There are several panozlife members who know more than I about the inside workings of PADCo and its future. I enjoy reading their updates and input.

I do know first-hand that everyone there--top down/ bottom up--has always been very professional and responsive to me. I can only hope for the best always for the Co and for the people there. For example, John A. Leverett is a class man. He gave my wife & I a tour of the plant in Dec '10; my 60th birthday surprise gift from my wife.

Regardless of the reason(s) for discontinuing the Esperante after '06, if nothing else, the limited production run should hopefully help sustain the market value of all Esperante models and specific vehicles kept in top condition.

As I said in my 1/12/12 entry, I am fortunate to have the 1st of the only 14 GT's built. Not driving it as much now that we have gotten into RV'ing in this next stage in our retirement.

Comment

Working...
                  X