• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heroes of ALMS: David Brabham & Panoz

Written by: John Dagys 04/04/2009
    St. Petersburg, FL

Page 1

Over the eleven year history of the American Le Mans Series, only a handful of drivers can claim fame to have competed in the Series since its inception. With 95 starts, Johnny O’Connell is the all-time leader in that category, but it’s the man in second place that could be argued as one of the most successful.

David Brabham’s win column doesn’t match that of O’Connell’s, or even winningest driver Olivier Beretta, but the humble Australian is the king of versatility. Brabham holds the honor of being the only driver to have claimed pole positions and race wins in all four categories - something unprecedented in the world of sports car racing.

Without a doubt, David Brabham is one of the most respected drivers in the American Le Mans Series paddock. (LAT) » More PhotosFrom his ALMS beginnings with Panoz to his spectacular drives in the GT ranks, and now to his rekindled success back in prototypes with Acura, Brabham has enjoyed it all.

The youngest son of three-time Formula One World Champion, Sir Jack Brabham, David followed in his father’s footsteps to the pinnacle of open-wheel racing. But after two attempts in F1, he was swayed back to sports cars by Don Panoz, who had entered the arena in 1997 with a radical new car concept for prototype racing.

“I remember when I was reading an Autosport, it must have been in 1996,” Brabham recalled. “I saw this picture of a Panoz with a front engine and thought, ‘My God, who in the hell would drive that thing?’ I ended up driving six years for them!”

It was the start of a very successful relationship between Panoz Motor Sports and Brabham, which saw him win the 1998 Professional Sports Car Racing Championship (precursor to the ALMS) in the Panoz GTR-1, nicknamed the “Batmobile.”

A new era dawned the following year with the launch of the ALMS, along with the debut of Panoz’s LMP-1 Roadster-S. Brabham and co-driver Eric Bernard claimed two wins, including an epic triumph at the Petit
    Le Mans. The front-engined beast dueled with the Schnitzer Motorsport BMW V12 LMRs all race long, until Jorg Muller beached the leading BMW with only two minutes remaining.

“We were tiny compared to people like Audi and BMW, so for us to win Petit Le Mans was a big thing,” Brabham said. “We were very lucky because Jorg spun while in the lead. I remember going back and forth with him the whole race. As it came out, the strategy worked better for them. You drive so hard, but sometimes you need a little luck. Unfortunately for Jorg, because I could only have imagined what it felt like inside his helmet, but for us it was a nice victory and a nice surprise.”

The high from Panoz’s first win in a major endurance race turned into despair at the season-finale at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, when the LMP championship slipped away from Brabham after Bernard collided with another car, forcing the car out with overheating issues.

David Brabham and Jan Magnussen's win in the wet at the Nurburgring ranks as one of Brabham's most memorable moments in the Series. (LAT) » More PhotosBut Brabham remained faithful to the Panoz organization, despite the heartbreaking end to the 1999 season. One of the major turning points came the following year, when he was paired with speedy Dane, Jan Magnussen. The duo’s partnership blossomed over a four-year span, with countless memorable moments.

One of those was their first win together, in a rain-soaked race at the Nurburgring in 2000. The American squad crushed the the Audi and BMW factory teams on their home territory, scoring an upset win. Then there was the triumph over the Audis in Portland in 2001, as well as a unforgettable race at Washington DC in 2002.

“That was a titanic battle,” Brabham said of the win at RFK Stadium. “We got our strategy absolutely right on tires at a restart and we got Jan back in the car with a brand-new set of tires for the last stop. It made a huge difference and he jumped to the lead. That was it, [Audi] couldn’t respond.”

St. Petersburg, FL

Page 2

To break Audi’s stranglehold at that time was something special, making each and every win that much more rewarding. In all, the duo came out on top five times over their three years together at Panoz. It proved to be hard work, at least for one of the two.

“When I described Jan in those days, I’d drive the car, and set it up and get as good as I could get it,” Brabham said. “And then he’d be standing on the side with a [cigarette] in his hand, and take his last draw, stump it out and say, ‘Is it ready Brabs?’ And off he’d go. That was kind of our relationship. But boy, when he got in, he was fast.”

"Mags" and "Brabs" continued as co-drivers in 2003, moving to the Prodrive outfit. (LAT) » More PhotosBy the end of the 2002 season, Panoz Motor Sports had disbanded its factory prototype program and both Brabham and Magnussen joined Prodrive’s Ferrari 550 Maranello effort in GT1. The duo delivered three class wins, going up against the mighty Corvette C5-Rs. Brabham also became a “Bentley Boy” that year, piloting the Bentley Speed 8 to a third place finish at Sebring and runner-up result at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Brabham remained in the GT ranks for three more seasons, completing short stints with the ACEMCO Motorsports Saleen and the ill-fated Krohn Racing Lamborghini in 2004, but enjoyed a rather successful one-off drive in a Prodrive-prepared
    Aston Martin DBR9.

“To come to Sebring and win the first time out was pretty special,” Brabham said of his GT1 class victory in 2005. “To be in the car crossing the finish line, knowing you’re driving an Aston Martin... is pretty special feeling, but a lot of pressure as well.”

By 2006, Brabs was back in a Panoz, but this time in the GT2 category with a Multimatic Motorsports-run Esperante GTLM. He scored another Sebring class win, but struggled the rest of the season with the underdeveloped car. At this stage of his career, Brabham appeared to had given up hope on getting another competitive prototype drive.

Highcroft Racing and Acura provided Brabham with some shining light in his prototype career. (LAT) » More Photos“I was thinking it would be the end of my prototype career,” Brabham said. “I couldn’t see anything in the horizon that was going to put me back in a prototype. Then the Acura opportunity came up, and I pursued it as hard as I could. It all turned out and it’s been fabulous to be part of.”

Indeed. Brabham’s career turned around with a phone call from Duncan Dayton to drive his team’s new Acura ARX-01a. Not only did he complete his first year in Highcroft Racing’s Acura LMP2 car, Brabham also claimed GT1 class honors at the Le Mans, and backed it up again the following year - both for Aston Martin Racing.

Comment

St. Petersburg, FL

Page 3

The momentum of Acura’s ALMS program kept building, and 2008 turned out to be the manufacturer’s break out year, with Brabs and co-driver Scott Sharp scoring four class wins, including their unforgettable come-from-behind overall victory at Lime Rock. Brabham’s late-race tactics on race-leader Timo Bernhard forced the Penske Racing drive to spin under pressure on the second-to-last lap.

Over the years, Brabham has been known for his spectacular late-race advances, especially at the wheel of an Acura. (LAT) » More Photos“There was nothing else in my head other than, ‘I’m getting past you,’” Brabham said. “I was exhausted after that race, because it was an absolute sprint. We lost time with Scott with a damaged rear diffuser, so it was a massive fight back from there. People were crashing, but we kept it strong. To win it like that, at Lime Rock with the home race for the team, is fairy tale stuff.”

Brabham and Sharp were on a roll in the summer months, taking class victories at Road America and Mosport and headed into the Petit Le Mans with a fighting chance of claiming the P2 championship. However, he walked away heartbroken when Sharp crashed the Patron-sponsored Acura early in the running. Penske swept the podium, and Highcroft’s championship chances were over. Brabham had yet again come ever so close to his elusive first Series title.

This year, Brabham is a man on a mission. Not only is he targeting the LMP1 championship with Acura’s new ARX-02a prototype, Brabs feels he’s been given another chance to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans overall - the remaining “big one” not yet on his resume. In February, he signed with Team Peugeot Total to tackle the twice-around-the-clock French classic, but will first set his sights on the opening ALMS rounds aboard the Highcroft Acura.

After all, it’s the ALMS where Brabham feels right at home. The 2008 Most Popular Driver couldn’t imagine being anywhere else. As the humble warrior he is, it’s the people that makes Brabham’s memories the most cherished and valued.

The future looks bright for Brabham and Acura, as they embark on the 2009 season. (LAT) » More Photos“Brabs is just a fantastic guy, super easy to work with. He’s the ultimate team player,” Jan Magnussen said. “Obviously he has an ego like all other drivers, but he is very good at controlling it to get the best out of everyone around him. He’s an all-around great guy off on and off the track.”

“The thing I’ll remember more about the series is the people when I’m eventually out of the Series and have my walking cane,” Brabham said. “To me, the cars were great, the racing was great, all that. But it’s the people in the series. The community we have year in and year out. Racing is a small world.”

And with a track record to prove it, Brabham has become one sports car racing’s greats, certainly someone who the next generation of drivers will look up to as a hero of the American Le Mans Series.

Comment

He's still my favorite race car driver of all time, and a really nice guy!

Comment

Panoz made a Brabham Edition Esperante I thought. I have never seen one for sale 2nd hand. I wonder how many were made? Were they coupes only? I only saw a picture of one once.

Comment

Originally posted by Panozguy View Post
            Panoz made a Brabham Edition Esperante I thought. I have never seen one for sale 2nd hand. I wonder how many were made? Were they coupes only? I only saw a picture of one once.
            10 were made. They were the first road cars to have a supercharger and hardtop.

Last edited by WMUCarGuy; 01-11-2010, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Comment

There is that darn bolt on hard top. I would like to get one of these for my convertable someday. I called Panoz once and they said they don't sell them.

Thanks for the pics. Is there any special badging on these cars?
                Last edited by Ackmann; 01-14-2010, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ackmann View Post
                  There is that darn bolt on hard top. I would like to get one of these for my convertable someday. I called Panoz once adn they said they don't sell them.

Thanks for the pics. Is there any specail bading on these cars?
                  I'd assume it has the same type of badging changes as the Jan Magnussen Edition. A plaque in the engine compartment, a badge on the trunk lid (visible in the overhead-rear shot of the DB Edition), special door sills, and possibly a plaque of some kind inside.

Comment

I spoke to Johan at JRD today and he said that the hard top used on the cars were a bolt on but it involved removing the whole convertable top system and making changes to mount the top. The interesting thing was that when I told him which car I own (#13) he shared an interesting story about how the car had been used in the Car&Driver 7/01 article that compared the Panoz Esperante, Porsche 911 Cab and the Jag XKR. Fun little bit of news and I bought a couple of back issues of the magazine of EBAY today. More to the story but that's the guts of it. I also want to see if it may have been used in any autoshows. Never know it may add to the collectability of these some day.

Comment

Originally posted by Ackmann View Post
                      I spoke to Johan at JRD today and he said that the hard top used on the cars were a bolt on but it involved removing the whole convertable top system and making changes to mount the top. The interesting thing was that when I told him which car I own (#13) he shared an interesting story about how the car had been used in the Car&Driver 7/01 article that compared the Panoz Esperante, Porsche 911 Cab and the Jag XKR. Fun little bit of news and I bought a couple of back issues of the magazine of EBAY today. More to the story but that's the guts of it. I also want to see if it may have been used in any autoshows. Never know it may add to the collectability of these some day.
                      The reason is the hard top includes a built in roll cage that is ingenuously
                      designed so it is barely visa bile from the inside, unlike Porsche where the inside of the vehicle looks like your ready to enter the GT2.

Comment

Working...
                      X