Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm designing a tonneau cover for the Roadster...suggestions!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm designing a tonneau cover for the Roadster...suggestions!?!?!

After talking to Second Wind on the phone the other day, I spent some time looking over a number of roadsters (MG, Austin Healey, etc) for some ideas.

The main goal is to NOT MOD the vehicle. I'm trying to use existing anchor points and posts.

Granted, my roadster is STILL in the shop and I have to rely on my photos for inspiration...that's OK for now; I should have it back soon to get started on this.

I'm planning the forward canvas top that would hook into the defroster vents and act like a dash cover with a zipper on the trailing edge (hidden under a flap so it doesn't look too ghetto). This would allow for easy install and removal. Not sure how I'm going to anchor the sides, yet; need to stare at it for a bit.

The rear (main) portion will use the existing bonnet posts. These vary on each roadster so if I pull this off, you'll need to have someone rivet in the bonnet locks for your own roaster's post positions.

To fasten the cover toward the front of the door, I've seen a couple of Healeys that use the side rear view mirrors as anchors. I like this as it would negate the need to mod the body to put in a post.

As for a rear-door anchor point, looking at my photos, the bonnet post nearest the door is anywhere from 1.5 to 2 inches under the top of the door which is perfect. Nothing to worry about here.

Option 1: I'm going to look into taking the door panel off and glue rare earth magnets on the inside to help secure the door flap cover (wrapped in the canvas) over the door to keep water runoff from getting inside the cab and help keep the thing from flapping wildly in the wind.

Option 2: A plastic rib (not sure how well this will work at high speeds all over the place).

Option 3: I've seen a few that just have like plastic hooks that insert between the door metal and the vinyl interior. Would leave a bit of a small gap and would not be too rain friendly )not that my car ever sees rain).

Most of the covers I've looked at tend to have a small zipper at the rear of the door (I'm assuming to allow access to the inner door handle or roll bars). We may or may not need a way to reach into the car to open the door.

I really don't like the look of the covers with the headrests in them. I'm opting to leave these off for a smooth flat look as the current headrests can be easily removed and put back on.

Storage-wise: include 2 strips with snaps underneath and just behind the seat so you can roll the canvas up behind the headrest (think oldie western bedrolls on a horse). Or you could just cram it behind your seat. Your call.

The right / left covers would attach to the front cover with zippers fed at the middle and go out toward the doors.

If anyone has any other ideas, links to photos I should look it, please let me know.

Sean
    Last edited by sshrum; 12-08-2013, 01:21 AM.

I had one custom made from the factory years ago but only put it on once just to see how it looked. It has spent its entire life in the trunk since I rarely drive my car and if not being driven then it is in the garage with the car cover on.
    I don't recall much about how it was constructed (other than it is made from the same material as the top) or went on but I do know that it uses the rear posts for attachment to the rear deck as well as the same brackets that the top fastens to that are just above the wind wings. It had some flaps that fasten either around the side mirrors or the wind wings (can't remember which) and attach with velcro.
    The tonneau would fully protect the interior from sunlight and rain as the front actually covers the entire windshield face. In fact, they told me at the factory that the tonneau would actually do a better job of keeping out the rain than the top would. Since my car has never even seen rain, I'll just have to take their word on that though.

The Panoz trim guy that made my cover (and your top and interior) has since started his own shop (although I believe he still does some contract work for Panoz) not far from the factory. Great guy and does some fabulous work if you'd like to speak with him. His name is Art Dominguez and his telephone number is (678)201-5823

Attached is a picture of how mine looks, but on another Roadster.
    Attached Files

Comment

The problem with that is you can't drive with it on.

Mine would be flat across the cockpit area. One, to protect the interior but more importantly, to keep some of the heat in the cockpit on cold days that just vanishes before it even gets to you. Plus it should look cool. :-P

Thanks for the contact info. I'll give him a call on Monday.
      Last edited by sshrum; 12-08-2013, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Gotcha. You're probably looking for something more like these......
        Attached Files

Comment

Yup. Never saw the red roadster cover...but that's the idea.

The headrests bumps don't look that bad. Might have to rethink that.

Any idea who the owner of that red roadster is? Possibly contact info.

Comment

Originally posted by sshrum View Post
            Yup. Never saw the red roadster cover...but that's the idea.

The headrests bumps don't look that bad. Might have to rethink that.

Any idea who the owner of that red roadster is? Possibly contact info.
            Looks as if it zips up the middle too.....I like that. Obviously getting attachment points on the dash (in the windshield crevis) is going to be the real challenge. May involve removing the windshield and/or frame.

No idea on the owner, just that it is a 1997' and serial number #28.
            Another reason why we need an accurate and up-to-date registry.
            Last edited by 99panoz; 12-08-2013, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99panoz View Post
              another reason why we need an accurate and up-to-date registry.
              Great idea!

Comment

PANOZ NEWS !
                Celebrating 25 years in business !
                We officially re-open the doors to our newly renovated location:
                Monday, April 7, 2014 at 9:00am
                We have new phone numbers & a new address at the same location.
                All your old friends at Panoz have new contact information:
                New Phone #: 678-425-1539
                New Address: 1089 Hwy 124, Braselton, Ga. 30548
                (Yes, it’s the same location with a new postal address & a new phone number)
                Great tech support from John M. Leverett @ 678-425-1539 ext. 231.
                Great parts and service support from Brandon Carver @ 678-425-1539 ext. 230.
                Great sales information and owner support from John A. Leverett @ 678-425-1539 ext. 222.
                Great customer service from Lisa White @ 678-425-1539 ext. 223
                The same great PANOZ team at the same location…
                Give us a call or stop by and let’s catch up 678-425-1539.
                John A. Leverett
                www.panoz.com
                jaleverett@panoz.com
                678-425-1539
                1089 Highway 124
                Braselton, Georgia 30548

Comment

I've started getting quotes from trim shops. I've purchased all the materials that I need and that ran ~$300:

$110 - 60" x 6' Stayfast canvas, black (convertible top material; UV/water/mold resist, local shop)
                  $170 - various Tenax studs and buttons (eagleday.com)
                  $8 - 48" black metal #10 YKK zipper (I might go brass but for now, black)
                  $15 - yellow polyester thread (the car is mainly garaged otherwise Gore Tenara thread-25 year but costs more plus has limited color choices)

[FYI: the studs and buttons on the roadster are the Tenax "Made in England" vs the Tenax "Made in Germany"...these two are not interchangeable]

I'm going toward something like the red roadster pic above (headrest and steering wheel pockets) but with the middle zipper offset toward the driver like on the black "speedster" in a effort to help retain the most heat under the cover (I'll mock something up to see if the edge will hit my right shoulder and if it completely blocks my view of the speedometer).

I'm also looking to have 2 small "button extensions" made...think small triangluar piece of canvas mounted behind the mirrors with 1 point sticking up with a stud on it. This would be the most forward corner mounting point next to the pre-installed studs just behind the door. The other option being magnets in the door and a metal strip in the hem as I have the doors clearbra'd, I wouldn't worry much about paint abrasion.

In addition to the English buttons, I've ordered 4 German buttons with bails (England doesn't make buttons with bails that I could find):

...as well as the appropriate studs. The studs will replace the screws in the defroster vents.

I'd do the cover myself but I'm afraid that trying to go through this material will kill my grandmother's 35 yo Bernina sewing machine. If the quotes seem high I might just go on Craigslist and track down an old upholstery machine and do it myself.
                  Last edited by sshrum; 01-05-2015, 07:24 PM.

Comment

AIV Tonneau Cover

sshrum,

I've copied a link below to an AIV Roadster listed on ebaymotors. The ad has a couple of photos of a custom tonneau cover installed. It appears a snap was added close to the side view mirrors and snaps were exchanged for the screws in the defroster vents.

Second Wind

Comment

Thx for the link. I've seen a couple Mazdas with a snap in that location but they use a extension...a piece of canvas that is placed and anchored under the mirror with the snap on it. This will most likely be what I'll be doing as modifying the body is a no-no in my book.

Comment

AIV Roadster Tonneau Cover

Originally posted by sshrum View Post
                        Thx for the link. I've seen a couple Mazdas with a snap in that location but they use a extension...a piece of canvas that is placed and anchored under the mirror with the snap on it. This will most likely be what I'll be doing as modifying the body is a no-no in my book.
                        I agree with the no modifications to the body. Another possible option is to sew velcro on the end of a padded strap. Then, sew the padded strap to the leading edge of the tonneau, wrap the padded strap around the base of the side mirror and use the velcro to attach the strap to the tonneau. A strap with velcro would also have the advantage of providing some additional adjustment to the attachment point located at the side mirror.

Comment

Working...
                        X