Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Plasti-dip fenders on a yellow roadster...Pics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Plasti-dip fenders on a yellow roadster...Pics!

My rear fenders were getting pretty chipped up down near the road so short of getting it painted ($$$), I was going to cover them in black vinyl on the off chance that I wanted to paint them black later. Someone suggested using Plasti-Dip as it is cheaper and can be a DIY project.

+ Vinyl estimate (installed)=$200
    + 10 pressurized cans of black Plasti-Dip ($6/ea @ Home Depot)=$60 (5-6 coats)

This way I can try out the black and if I like it, keep it on. Then I just spray on some more Dip if it gets torn or ripped due to road gravel. Plus I can peel this off later when I want to go back to the original yellow (the car is garaged so UV wear on the rest of the car is a minimal concern).

Comes out looking like a matte black (which is what I wanted anyways).

All I have to get done now is the racing strip and the #9

My buddy sed the car looks more like a belly tank racer now.

Last edited by sshrum; 05-06-2013, 04:01 PM.

Looks like a killer bee

Comment

Still planning on doing the CF hood scoop?

Comment

@rarity: Killer bee...hehe. I was at one point going to put black rings around the front but then realized that it would like a backwards bee.

@99panoz: No CF scoop. I called JRD a few months back, spoke to someone there that said they would see if they still had the molds and they never got back to me. BTW: I'm going to pick up my "99 PANOZ" California plate this week.

I'm going with a roundel on the scoop. I've preped the car for racing stripes by removing the trunk interior to get to the 3rd brake light, removed the beauty ring around the gas cap, 2 of the bonnet posts, and the hood emblem (which is just stuck on with 5 lbs foam tape).

Concept mockups:

Comment

"99 Panoz" - Thats great! Those are the same plates that I wanted but someone else here in Georgia already has those (see attached pic). My buddy that has the 98' AIV that I sold him was actually able to get "98PANOZ".

Hey, while you have the trunk liner off, can you see if the fuel filter has a brand & model number on it? I'm planning on changing mine out at the next service and it would be great if I could go ahead and get it in advance before I take my trunk apart.
          Attached Files

Comment

@99panoz: Motorcraft fg-986

Last edited by sshrum; 05-08-2013, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Finished (for now...I might just plasti-dip the rims black):

Comment

Thanks for the info (fuel filter).
                I gotta be honest, I thought you had lost your mind on this color scheme you've come up with for your Roadster but really the more I look at it the better I'm liking it. It is different and is likely the second most unique Roadster that there is (the first being the AIV Speedster, also in California).
                Very WELL done sir! I just wished you'd bring it to Georgia for the rally because it would definitely be the center piece of the bunch.

On the wheels - I believe I'd stop where you're at now as I feel that the silver gives it just enough contrast to make it stand out and "POP". Just my opinion though......

Comment

One of the chores I don't have to deal with all the time is having to wipe down the fenders because now the black plasti dip doesn't show dirt. I still wipe down the trunk area though. The rims get enough brake dust on them (even with ceramic pads) that I have to clean those from time to time so if I get really lazy spraying on plasti dip would just about eliminate shine ups.

Comment

Absolute Head Turner!
                    Great job and awesome "crazy mean" look!

Who did the vinyl for you?

Comment

Impressed with how it turned out!! Adding the racing stripe really pulled everything together. Very nice!!
                      IkeCan
                      1998 Triple Black Roadster AIV, 2018 AMG GTC Roadster

Comment

Nice job. You now have an even more unique Roadster. However, I am a bit offended that you stole the color combination from my wife's Citroen 2CV6 Charleston. Thanks for adding the racing stripe to avoid any confusion should you park next to each other.
                        Attached Files
                        2006 Panoz Esperante GTLM, 1958 Austin-Healey "Bugeye" Sprite, 1967 Iso Grifo, 1969 Morris Mini Cooper S, 1974 Jensen Healey, 1981 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston, 1991 Lotus Elan, 2002 Mercedes Benz G500, 2004 Lotus Esprit, 2014 Jaguar F-Type, 2012 Audi Q7 TDI (the tow vehicle)

Comment

My design but vinyl by Loudocean.com. Just a local shop. Cost me $500 (a bit pricey) but the guy owns a shop and was always available (other shops, the guys weren't always there even though the operating hours on their door said they were open) and was kewl with me helping out and making sure that he didn't cut corners....literally...the wrap goes under the car into places most people wouldn't see unless I open the car up such as in the trunk and under the nose and hood. He even did the 3 smaller roundels after the fact without charging me more.

Comment

If he did the hood without removing the scoop then he'd been my first choice too. Very talented craftsman are getting harder to come by these days (or at least they don't work within their advertised hours of operation).

Comment

Here's the concept photo of blacked out rims along with the current...

Comment

Working...
                              X