No announcement yet.

Roadster: Strong fuel smell/leak...black box next to fuel tank on drivers side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster: Strong fuel smell/leak...black box next to fuel tank on drivers side

I got this smell when I was running the car up Mulholland Dr when the car was stalling out and again today after I really rev'ed it up a bit on the way home from a car show.

I'm not sure what this black box is to the drivers side of the fuel tank but I'm thinking fuel pump. Seems a bit big to me for a pump but I've only had Japanese cars in the past. Pic below:

I wiped it down. Looked like it was coming out of the top of the black box as it was covered in fuel.

Any ideas? What is that?

Ok...did it again. Going up Ortega hwy (alt 2660 ft from base at sea level). I'm thinking that it's some sort of ambient pressure issue or something that has to do with the car being tilted upwards. Car ran fine before the mountains, sputtered a few times and stalled once going up, sputtered once or twice coming down, was fine the rest of the day at sea level.

All gauges were in the norm.

Comment

It looks like a fuel vapor canister if pressure builds up in the fuel system it may be causing the problem. Do not overlook the fuel cap. You should email the factory

Comment

Could be the fuel return line (?). I had the problem of gas smell. Took it to a Ford dealer and the dealer called Panoz after discovering the line needed replacing.
        Panoz paid Ford to have it replaced with the stock (longer than ours) Mustang line. I'd call them, too.
        -Differential gears changed from 3:27 to 3:73
        -Custom Rollbar - 1 5/8" Tubular Steel. #4130 Alloy [Chrome Moly]. Powder Coated Silver
        -Front Brakes - Brembo, 4-Piston,14-inch Rotors/ Rear Brakes - Cobra Mustang 11.65-inch vented rotor
        -E-Brake - Lokar EHB700F-01-lg repositioned to passenger side floor from drive shaft tunnel
        -Steeda Underdrive Pullies / Steeda Firewall Clutch Cable Adjuster
        -Billett Aluminum Clutch Quadrant / A/C Delete Kit /MSD Coils

Comment

Somethings up with their email server...their webmail form is failing and attempts to email them directly are coming back denied (and I have my own server so I highly doubt they backlisted my whole domain as I never email them) :-P I'll give them a call in the morning.

Comment

Weird. I do know that their biz is down. /
            -Custom Rollbar - 1 5/8" Tubular Steel. #4130 Alloy [Chrome Moly]. Powder Coated Silver
            -Front Brakes - Brembo, 4-Piston,14-inch Rotors/ Rear Brakes - Cobra Mustang 11.65-inch vented rotor
            -E-Brake - Lokar EHB700F-01-lg repositioned to passenger side floor from drive shaft tunnel

Comment

Spoke to John at Panoz...he tracked down a former engineer. Apparently, there was a known issue with the dpfe (?) sensor. Ford re-calibrated the part and issued the same PN so ordering a new one with the same part number may address the issue.

Note: egr differential pressure sensor

Another point John brought up was that it could be that the mass sensor needs cleaning.

Comment

John's a good guy. I'm glad you finally ran them down.

Comment

Both John in engineering and Dad John in Sales are great!

I just got my car in December, new from a dealer in Canada; they were a HUGE help to me; John Jr was the head engineer and John Leverett Sr was the main guy for sales and marketing; they may not sell street cars anynore BUT they have told me they are happy to support the cars that are on the road and they have done that! And don't forget Johan at JRD tuning next door; he helped me too ! Doc

Comment

FYI: Went to Ford and got a new one. The new DPFE sensor costs about $120 (after CA taxes)

Comment

Just ran the car over Mulholland Dr. again with no stalls. DPFE sensor was the culprit.

Comment

Working...
                      X