Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips on removing the center console on the Roadster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips on removing the center console on the Roadster?

I'm in the process of upgrading the speakers (easy enough) and radio but got a bit stumped once I (failed to get) started on removing the center console to remove the old radio.

Anyone have any insight as to where I should start as I haven't found a good start point (almost seems like I need to take the dash out first but that can't be right).

The carbon fiber faceplate is glued on with dbl-sided foam tape but I rather not risk trying to pull that off in case the CF breaks.

TIA

Originally posted by sshrum View Post
    I'm in the process of upgrading the speakers (easy enough) and radio but got a bit stumped once I (failed to get) started on removing the center console to remove the old radio.

Anyone have any insight as to where I should start as I haven't found a good start point (almost seems like I need to take the dash out first but that can't be right).

The carbon fiber faceplate is glued on with dbl-sided foam tape but I rather not risk trying to pull that off in case the CF breaks.

TIA
    Start by removing the shift knob and then the (4) screws on the shift boot bezel. Remove the bezel and shift boot. Gently push in on the area just below the (2) air vent registers and lift the console from the edge closest to the hand brake and lift out. This will allow access to the radio pocket.
    Once complete, simply install in reverse order.

Comment

Thanx. I tried that originally but it seemed like it didn't want to budge but I'll give it another shot.

Another question for ya (I'm sorta mimicking your upgrade list a bit if you haven't noticed)

I'm having the wheels and rotors upgraded and switching to Hawks ceramic pads and while those are all off, smoothing the calipers out and painting them vibrant red.

I've ordered a set of Baer cross drilled / slotted based on a front 98 Cobra and rear of 96 Thunderbird with Sport suspension.

I'm looking at Hawks Performance ceramic pads but so far I haven't found any rear pads for the Thunderbird (checked several web sites but they only list fronts for the TB). Are the disc pads for the front and rear the same? Short of removing the wheels and dismantling the calipers, I'm hoping you can take a look at these and see if match up size-wise.

F: Hawks Performance Ceramic PN = HB111Z610
      R: Hawks Performance Ceramic PN = HB182Z660

TIA
      Last edited by sshrum; 02-01-2013, 01:29 AM.

Comment

Was able to remove console although removing the shifter knob is not needed. I just pulled the base up and turned it vertical and pulled the console over it.

I pulled the 16 pin connector but what is the 3 wire connection on the other side? I'm figuring pos/neg/antenna although I'm having quite a time getting it to come off the headunit. The online manual for the unit contains no installation information.
        Last edited by sshrum; 02-01-2013, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sshrum View Post
          Thanx. I tried that originally but it seemed like it didn't want to budge but I'll give it another shot.

Another question for ya (I'm sorta mimicking your upgrade list a bit if you haven't noticed)

I'm having the wheels and rotors upgraded and switching to Hawks ceramic pads and while those are all off, smoothing the calipers out and painting them vibrant red.

I've ordered a set of Baer cross drilled / slotted based on a front 98 Cobra and rear of 96 Thunderbird with Sport suspension.

I'm looking at Hawks Performance ceramic pads but so far I haven't found any rear pads for the Thunderbird (checked several web sites but they only list fronts for the TB). Are the disc pads for the front and rear the same? Short of removing the wheels and dismantling the calipers, I'm hoping you can take a look at these and see if match up size-wise.

F: Hawks Performance Ceramic PN = HB111Z610
          R: Hawks Performance Ceramic PN = HB182Z660

TIA
          When I upgraded my rotors I just reused the factory pads since they were practically brand new at the time so I really know very little of the pad sizing. However my initial thoughts would be that they are not the same. It may be best to simply go ahead and dismantle the brake assemblies and measure the rear pads to compare while shopping for your replacements.
          Once complete, I (and I'm sure other Roadster owners also) would like to know how you like the ceramic pads as well as how they perform if you don't mind sharing in a follow up post.

Comment

No problem...glad to help out where I can.

Comment

Does anyone know where the Antenna comes from ? The rubber grummet at the base is coming apart. (2001 Esperante)

Comment

Originally posted by grisrenard View Post
                Does anyone know where the Antenna comes from ? The rubber grummet at the base is coming apart. (2001 Esperante)
                Pretty sure that any electric antenna will work, once I was having reception problems and the dealer (when there was one) removed the drivers rear wheel and played around with the wires on the antenna.
                Good Luck

Comment

Working...
                X