Wheel hop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel hop

Is anyone else with AIV experiencing wheel hop? It happens to me in first gear when I go WOT. I'm not dumping the clutch or anything, just giving it the gas from a slow roll. Has anyone upgraded bushings on their rear IRS and has that helped?
    1. 1999 Panoz AIV roadster, SCT Xcal2, LDC cooling mod
    2. 2008 Audi S4 Avant
    3. 2014 Mini Cooper S Countryman

also

have been reading since last post and it seems that many recommend replacing or reinforcing the rear differential cover. I've seen a few braces but not quite sure if they'd fit. I've also seen some nice billet replacement rear covers but they ALL, that I can see, say NOT for IRS. Anybody know why that is?
    2. 2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

So......

.....feel like I'm talking to myself here.......

I found a good website that goes into detail about reasons for wheel hop. This is for IRS Mustangs but a lot of it certainly applies to any IRS car. If anyone else is having similar problems, this is an interesting read.

2. 2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

keep it up. Slow time of year as most guys are not car active. We don't have a lot of AIV guys here, but there are a few. Keep the questions and links coming.

Comment

one answer

So, I posted this same question over on Modular Fords along with a picture of the rear suspension and got this answer from ac427cobra.

"It looks like they have fabricated their own SLA back there. Pretty cool!

So that means you have no rubber in those control arms. They all look like rod ends so you are good to go there. There is no subframe so you don't need subframe bushings.

It looks like the center section, halfshafts and knuckles are standard Ford issue.

So the only thing remaining would be the differential housing front and rear mounts. Would need a close-up of those mounts to make a determination.

If you have wheel hop, it's most likely coming from those tires. Are they Good-Year Eagle F-1's by chance? If so, they will hop on almost anything! You'll need to reduce the pressure in them drastically. You might also need to stiffen up the spring and shock a bit as well. Until I see how the differential is mounted that may be contributing slightly to the wheel hop as well. But the majority is coming from those tires I'd be willing to bet. The easy solution would be a tire change in your situation.

Hope that helps.

Another thing you also want to check if you have wheel hop, would be any type of play in the rear suspension. Jack the car up and try to wiggle the wheel in all directions checking the control arms, toe links and halfshaft to rear hub retaining nuts for play. If there is ANY play is these areas it needs to be addressed."
          2. 2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

I would suspect the shock/spring setup first and foremost. If your car is set up like the couple I've worked with they're really soft.

Stiffening the shocks and springs may be your best bet.

Comment

Working...
            X