Panoz AIV Speedster!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panoz AIV Speedster!

So I'd seen a photo of this particular car and LOVED it, and then one day I was driving through Redondo Beach, CA and stopped dead in my tracks. There it was, the car I've dubbed AIV "Speedster", and the coolest Panoz road car in existence if you ask me!

From what I could tell, modifications from stock include
    - Cut down, wrap-around windscreen, removal of the bumpers with the bodywork filled in and rear view mirror moved to top of dash
    - Removal of the turn signals with bodywork filled in (I didn't see replacements, so I'm guessing he's rigged the headlights to blink in some fashion)
    - Wire mesh added to the grilles and hood scoop
    - New side rear view mirrors (not crazy about the style of them)
    - Tonneau cover for interior
    - Removable Sparco steering wheel
    - Removal of rear, central reverse light and 3rd brake lamp
    - And probably a lot more that I haven't noticed!

Regardless, this is undoubtedly the coolest AIV on the road and if I ever buy one, I'd probably have it made to look very similar to this one!

Full gallery: http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/s...V%20Speedster/

Last edited by WMUCarGuy; 12-25-2009, 11:55 PM.

I think the one additional change I'd have made if I had one is to have the hood scoop made of aluminum and have a fabricator weld and finish it to the hood so it look like one piece. I've always thought the scoop looked like an afterthought (because it was) and it was the one thing that looked kind of poorly done on the car. So here's a pic i had photoshopped a few years ago from an AIV I saw in Michigan with the hood scoop incorporated into the hood as well as the bumpers and turn signals removed, and I think it looks MUCH better! Add on that speedster windscreen and you'd have the hottest AIV ever!

Comment

By far the coolest Roadster or (yes Speedster would be appropiate) that I have seen. I actually like the slit front hood better of the black car than the solid one on your rendering but that is just each persons individual taste.

I wonder if Panoz Development did the customizing or someone else? These speedsters have come down to a very affordable mid tweenties price range, and I think a custom one like this would make a nice affordable long term investment. Probably best for a person in a sunshine state to own though.

Comment

Best looking Roadster I've have ever seen as well. I dont care for the steering wheel though. Love the low profile wrap around windshield and actually like the rear view mirrors on this car. I would probably have to real think seriously about buying this car if it turned up for sale. If I ever did buy this I think I would brush aluminum the front light housing, Brush aluminum the center console surround and door peices and then put a modern verson of a classic wooden steering wheel in it. SWEET!

I see what your saying about the hood scoop and front bonet being one. It would look better. However, with this car, I think I would open it up and have a polished Super Charger sticking slightly above the hood line to go along with the other ideas I expressed above.
        Last edited by Ackmann; 12-25-2009, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PanozBob View Post
          By far the coolest Roadster or (yes Speedster would be appropiate) that I have seen. I actually like the slit front hood better of the black car than the solid one on your rendering but that is just each persons individual taste.

I wonder if Panoz Development did the customizing or someone else? These speedsters have come down to a very affordable mid tweenties price range, and I think a custom one like this would make a nice affordable long term investment. Probably best for a person in a sunshine state to own though.
          Yea, that's one of the reasons I really LOVE this car, it's a truly affordable dream car! And I do plan to own one someday! I think I'll go with either sunburst yellow, metallic blue, or pearl white. Ferraris and Lambos are great and all, but how many of us can really afford to buy and maintain a car like that? Plus (at least where I live), Ferraris and Lambos have become quite plebeian...

I wonder if JRD may have had a hand in this car???
          Last edited by WMUCarGuy; 12-26-2009, 12:31 AM.

Comment

I was just thinking, I wonder if the front turn signals on this car are mounted within the mesh covered holes where the bumpers used to come from?

Comment

I also just realized the car has had its central rear reverse light and 3rd brake light removed and I don't see another one anywhere.

Comment

AIV Mods

This pic shows some modifications I made to my '98 AIV.
                I moved the e-brake to the floor of the passenger side and relocated the speakers. I used to hit my elbow on the e-brake lever when shifting.
                Attached Files
                -Differential gears changed from 3:27 to 3:73
                -Custom Rollbar - 1 5/8" Tubular Steel. #4130 Alloy [Chrome Moly]. Powder Coated Silver
                -Front Brakes - Brembo, 4-Piston,14-inch Rotors/ Rear Brakes - Cobra Mustang 11.65-inch vented rotor
                -E-Brake - Lokar EHB700F-01-lg repositioned to passenger side floor from drive shaft tunnel
                -Steeda Underdrive Pullies / Steeda Firewall Clutch Cable Adjuster
                -Billett Aluminum Clutch Quadrant / A/C Delete Kit /MSD Coils

Comment

AIV Mods - Rollbar

Oh - forgot the pic with the rollbar.
                  Attached Files
                  -Custom Rollbar - 1 5/8" Tubular Steel. #4130 Alloy [Chrome Moly]. Powder Coated Silver
                  -Front Brakes - Brembo, 4-Piston,14-inch Rotors/ Rear Brakes - Cobra Mustang 11.65-inch vented rotor
                  -E-Brake - Lokar EHB700F-01-lg repositioned to passenger side floor from drive shaft tunnel

Comment

I like the rollbar. Is the ebrake tough to reach? You did the work yourself?

Please post a side profile shot of the car.

Comment

I thought I had a recent side shot with the Brembos and the speaker change to fire extinguisher, but this is the closest I have of a side shot with roll bar.

I had someone make and install the roll bar.

I did all the work on the e-brake, and it's not too tough to engage. But, I do have to lean over to pull it.
                      Attached Files

Comment

The "Speedster" is for sale on hemmings.com
                        1999 Roadster AIV #013
                        2007 Shelby GT
                        2003 Cobra Conv. 10th
                        2001 Crown Vic PI
                        1998 Lincoln Mark VIII

Comment

Working...
                        X