"Car and Driver" mag interview with Don Panoz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Car and Driver" mag interview with Don Panoz

March 2013 issue of "Car and Driver" mag. Back page (pg 108) interview with Don Panoz. 1 question: "What is the status of your son Dan's carmaking enterprise?" Answer: "Government regulations were too much. In 2007, he said, "I can't do this."

That's along what he told me!

I was at the factory in December. he said between the "smart seat" airbags and belt requirements and the engines had to be re certified the R&D and licensing was going to be like $30MIL????? So he said its time to get out; according to John Leverett Senior and Jr they have enough parts to make a few more GTLM's but they would be only 2006 or 2007 because that was the last year they were legally able to do so... John Sr said tehy would like to get back to making street cars again...I am such a fan after buying my NEW ESP GT from the Canadian dealer;and I just get so MUCH attention on this car.......I feel VERY lucky to have one, and at a very reduced price for me I might add which does make me even gloat a liitle more,lol sorry...dogdoc

Comment

Its my understanding that Panoz would never go the Factory Five or even Lotus route by selling component "not kit" cars. They could even "set up" a subsidiary where they take the component car and install the engine/drivetrain. It'd be a way around the laws.

Comment

An interesting article indeed. A brief read with a few surprising points:

Panoz is not only giving up control of ALMS but also the Sebring & Road Atlanta tracks in this deal with the France Family's Grand-Am series.

Don says he's not a Billionaire.

Didn't elaborate too much on PADC other than what was said in the above posts regarding Dan. For a reader who wouldn't know better, it makes it sound as if PADC went out of business in 2007'. I would have thought he would have expanded on the subject a bit more and maybe spoke of PADC's development work on other ventures & developing technologies.

Didn't mention the Abruzzi.

Comment

Why did he NOT mention the "Nissan Delta wing"????

That car is making all kinds of news; I was at thePetite this past Fall and that thing is the buzz! PADC devloped the damn thing with Nissan; that's a huge coupe if you ask me; why do they not brag about that???

I as at the factory in late Fall; they are working on green energy cars as well as race cars for major marques...don't get why they don't brag a little? Dogdoc

Comment

Detroit Electric announces a return to making cars. When I called a few weeks ago, I was told that PADC was working with at least two companies resurrecting old marques and one was electric. Have to wonder if there is a connection here and if so, why be mum about it?

Comment

Working...
            X