What makes a Panoz, a Panoz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a Panoz, a Panoz?

As more and more info creeps out, the more I think about the ways Panoz have done things over the years, and I wonder if there are certain things that a Panoz MUST have to be considered a "true" Panoz in the eyes of enthusiasts.

Here are a few things that seem to be found on every Panoz model:
    - Front or F/M engine placement
    - Normally Aspirated Ford V8
    - Centrally mounted gauge clusters
    - Superplastic formed aluminum body panels
    - Chassis made from extruded aluminum sections
    - A side vent of some sort
    - Easy serviceability at Ford dealers
    - Can you guys think of anything else?

What if the Abruzzi were to be released featuring a far more advanced or perhaps a more traditional method of build? Would you consider it to be "less" of a Panoz due to it not following the "formula" if you will?

What if it came with a traditionally mounted gauge cluster (I'd actually prefer this) or an engine from someone other than Ford, or an American manufacturer for that matter?

What if they take the car far upmarket from where the Esperante is now reducing the cars ability to be easily serviced at local dealers due to higher-tech measures built into the car?

What do you guys think? Would you have a problem with Panoz deviating from what's worked well for them in the past?

Originally posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
    As more and more info creeps out, the more I think about the ways Panoz have done things over the years, and I wonder if there are certain things that a Panoz MUST have to be considered a "true" Panoz in the eyes of enthusiasts.

Here are a few things that seem to be found on every Panoz model:
    - Front or F/M engine placement: Like it but not required.
    - Normally Aspirated Ford V8: Not required.
    - Centrally mounted gauge clusters: Yes, should stay.
    - Superplastic formed aluminum body panels: Yes great quality & strength
    - Chassis made from extruded aluminum sections: Yes racing synergy
    - A side vent of some sort: Yes a commonality
    - Easy serviceability at Ford dealers: Yes easy service but not needing Ford - Can you guys think of anything else?

What if the Abruzzi were to be released featuring a far more advanced or perhaps a more traditional method of build? Would you consider it to be "less" of a Panoz due to it not following the "formula" if you will?

What if it came with a traditionally mounted gauge cluster (I'd actually prefer this) or an engine from someone other than Ford, or an American manufacturer for that matter? If american I would perefer Ford. But other engines would be welcomed.

What if they take the car far upmarket from where the Esperante is now reducing the cars ability to be easily serviced at local dealers due to higher-tech measures built into the car? Good question. I dont know. Perhaps a upscale Abruzzi can get away with this, but still best to have someone with local service connections. Audi, Mercedes, BMW?

What do you guys think? Would you have a problem with Panoz deviating from what's worked well for them in the past?
    I still think that Panoz should focus on a American connection but those days may be gone. If they focus on great racing cars and then move that technology to the street cars the formula will always work for a solid following.

Now the big question is.

I have heard more than once that Panoz is working on some type of new relationship with a European car maker. They would build chassis perhaps for the euro company and then they would receive engines from the that company? I hear the rumor of some company is valid, but no details. Spyker comes to mind with its rare low production numbers and Audi connections; but Spyker probably doesn't need anything from Panoz do they?
    TVR Perhaps? I dont know, but it will be interesting to find out someday.

If it was an Audi connection would they use the new V12 that is in the Spyker C12 LaTurbie?
    Last edited by Ackmann; 01-03-2010, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ackmann View Post

I still think that Panoz should focus on a American connection but those days may be gone. If they focus on great racing cars and then move that technology to the street cars the formula will always work for a solid following.

Now the big question is.

I have heard more than once that Panoz is working on some type of new relationship with a European car maker. They would build chassis perhaps for the euro company and then they would receive engines from the that company? I hear the rumor of some company is valid, but no details. Spyker comes to mind with its rare low production numbers and Audi connections; but Spyker probably doesn't need anything from Panoz do they?
      TVR Perhaps? I dont know, but it will be interesting to find out someday.

If it was an Audi connection would they use the new V12 that is in the Spyker C12 LaTurbie?
      TVR doesn't exist anymore AFAIK.

Comment

Who in Europe would Panoz Build a Chassis and/or body for? Or perhaps a complete car just marketed under a different name?

Or how about Marcos. Good European name. Came out with a cool looking car in 05-07 but went bust. I wonder if they could make a decent partnership out of this old name. Just a thought.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Ackmann; 01-03-2010, 08:58 PM.

Comment

It needs to be AMERICAN, center cluster, alum-comp body, racing heritage.

Comment

????? Makes you think. Do they have enough history to be one way. I think they could still do whatever and if the beauty and performance is there. Doesn't matter. I just want to se them in the ALMS and at the top of the heat.

Comment

Working...
            X