1999 AIV question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 AIV question

I heard a lot of minor pieces on the roadster were from existing car parts from what I've read (e.g. Rover (tail-lights), Miata (mirrors). Does anyone know the source of the plastic door latches (inside of course)? I would like to see if there are some nice billet aluminum replacements. Those stock ones are pretty cheap looking and feeling.
    1. 1999 Panoz AIV roadster, SCT Xcal2, LDC cooling mod
    2. 2008 Audi S4 Avant
    3. 2014 Mini Cooper S Countryman

I know I've seen them on something else, but I can't put my hands on what...

Comment

Years ago, my dad had an 83' Honda Civic. Thinking back now, I believe it was the same door handle. PADC ( in particular, Joey McBride or Jason Barnes) should be able to confirm. Let us know what you find out and if you find any quality/suitable replacement versions.

Comment

Originally posted by 99PanozAIV View Post
        I heard a lot of minor pieces on the roadster were from existing car parts from what I've read (e.g. Rover (tail-lights), Miata (mirrors). Does anyone know the source of the plastic door latches (inside of course)? I would like to see if there are some nice billet aluminum replacements. Those stock ones are pretty cheap looking and feeling.
        Just checking to see if you ever found any suitable replacements or was able to confirm what the handle was originally from?

Comment

Originally posted by 99panoz View Post
          Just checking to see if you ever found any suitable replacements or was able to confirm what the handle was originally from?
          Hey. I heard back from Brandon Carver with Panoz and he said that the roadster uses the door handles from the early to mid-90s Mazda Miata. I've seen some chrome after-market replacements but I'd like some nice billet aluminum ones-no luck yet. If you see any let me know.
          2. 2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

Not sure that Brandon has got this correctly. After reading your post, I began searching for 1995' Miata Door Handles and came across this site:
            http://www.gomiata.com/mamxmicuwisi.html

Obviously this door handle for the 1990-1997 Miata isn't the same as the AIV Roadster handle. I do know that the exterior side mirrors are from the Miata though. Too bad also because I believe finding parts for a Miata would have been much easier to locate considering the sheer number of them made. One thought though may be to remove the handle and have one fabricated from billett on a CNC machine. If we could find enough people interested, the cost would likely be minimal for the each of us.
            Attached Files

Comment

Nicely done guys. This research and communications between each other is the heart and soul of a valuable car forum. Now if we could only get Josh at Panoz Dev to get permission to become active with parts support

Comment

I am a little confused, does PAD Factory not have the handle in stock? I have forwarded this web site to John Leverett @ Panoz.

Comment

Hi AIV people I found this on another web site and thought it might be useful:

Replacement Parts

Sun Visors are from a BMW Z3

Windshield is from a Volkswagon Super-Beetle - 73-77 (Nags # FW266)

Mirrors are from an early Mazda Miata. Stainless accessory replacement mirrors are available from Metromotorsports

Tail lights are from a Land Rover. Bulbs available from O'Reillys Auto Parts

Original floor mats made by Matworks

Billet aluminum HVAC knobs are available from many Mustang supply dealers.

Roush tool kits very similar to what was available in early AIV Roadsters still available from Roush

Radiators and AC Condensors available from Griffin

Stainless Steel Kingbee Headlights are available from www.uapac.com

Comment

Originally posted by 99panoz View Post
                    Not sure that Brandon has got this correctly. After reading your post, I began searching for 1995' Miata Door Handles and came across this site:
                    http://www.gomiata.com/mamxmicuwisi.html

Obviously this door handle for the 1990-1997 Miata isn't the same as the AIV Roadster handle. I do know that the exterior side mirrors are from the Miata though. Too bad also because I believe finding parts for a Miata would have been much easier to locate considering the sheer number of them made. One thought though may be to remove the handle and have one fabricated from billett on a CNC machine. If we could find enough people interested, the cost would likely be minimal for the each of us.
                    Yeah, I think you might be right (sorry for the delay, job's killing me). I can't find anything that looks right. It's such trivial part, I can't imagine them spending any time to do it themselves given how much is already out there. I'd sure like to find a nice billet piece to replace them though so if anyone finds anything, I'd appreciate hearing about it.
                    2. 2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

interior door handle again

OK, I've still been looking for a match to our interior door handles because I'd like to find a nice billet aluminum replacement. Now call me crazy, but doesn't this look like an exact match to ours?

2. 2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

It certainly "looks" the same. Question is, is it "mechanically" the same? I wonder how many after-market sources (chrome, billet, chromed plastic, etc.) are available for this item especially this many years since this part was used on a new production vehicle?

Comment

Hi, my name is Robert. I believe the handles from the AIV are from a early Rover (Defender or something like that). I researched that a year ago but I decided to replace my whole door panell and use a different billet handle. I had no luck finding any nice direct fit replacements so far.

Comment

Originally posted by robertantal View Post
                            Hi, my name is Robert. I believe the handles from the AIV are from a early Rover (Defender or something like that). I researched that a year ago but I decided to replace my whole door panell and use a different billet handle. I had no luck finding any nice direct fit replacements so far.
                            Please show a picture.
                            Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X