Panoz Abruzzi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panoz Abruzzi

From all indications and rumors this will be the year to see the new Panoz Abruzzi introduced. This will be an all new supercar offered by Panoz. They will likely offer the new model Esperante as well offered as both a GT Coupe and still the much loved Convertable. Don't know when the introduction will be, but I would guess it to coincide with one of the racing events at the Panoz owned facilities. Sebring? Probably not since it would be a little early early in the year. I would guess more likely to happen around Le Petit LeMans as this would be in September and probably allow them to introduce and market it as the new 2011 Panoz. Rumors of this car have been around for a few years and some predict it to be a mid engine sports car to compete after the Ferrari and Porsche supercar market place. A mid engine american sports car reminicent of the Pantera; who knows. A front mid/mount GT1 styled supercar would be the other likely option and easier to develop from where they have already been.

The New Model Esperante is likely like the one seen here on the site and raced last year in ALMS.

Stay tuned as I will post anything I hear and am allowed to share publicly.
    Last edited by Ackmann; 12-21-2009, 04:23 PM.

Very Cool. I can't wait to hear more about it and better yet see pictures and specs. I wonder what engine plant they'll use. I would really like to see the Abruzzi be a mid engine sports car like a Ford GT40 or Pantera but with a modern look.

Comment

I have my doubts we'll ever see the car though as Panoz has been making MASSIVE cuts in all areas of Panoz Auto Group and Panoz Motorsports Group at every level.

Panoz had wanted to create a new bio-butanol powered LMP, based in some fashion on the old LMP (which seemed to me like NOTHING but a bad idea), but Panoz couldn't get any investors to pay for the project.

Everything I've heard of the Abruzzi thusfar has said it will be mid engined and much more upmarket than anything currently made by the brand. I've also heard that Ford power was not necessarily the engine of choice for the project. I've heard the new LMP program that never happened was likely to have been Chevy powered, so perhaps this would transfer over to the road car as well.

But all that being said, I've literally heard nothing on the Abruzzi in probably a year and a half, which is why I have my doubts it will be coming out, but I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

I do have a few conections to Panoz Mfg and can tell you the Abruzzi was planned for introduction late 09 but was delayed earlier this year, and now is estimated for, well, look for it in the third quarter of 2010 to be shown. I have not asked details about the detail of engine or mount location as I have been trying to show respect for their privacy; but after all we all appreciate the story behind Panoz what they have accomplished already when many said they would fail.

Abruzzi will likely introduced or shown before the new Esperante Model is released. Looking at the photos of the coupe pictures we have here on the site; it appears the Esperante Coupe has a built on top with a rear glass lifting window.

Comment

Originally posted by Ackmann View Post
          I do have a few conections to Panoz Mfg and can tell you the Abruzzi was planned for introduction late 09 but was delayed earlier this year, and now is estimated for, well, look for it in the third quarter of 2010 to be shown. I have not asked details about the detail of engine or mount location as I have been trying to show respect for their privacy; but after all we all appreciate the story behind Panoz what they have accomplished already when many said they would fail.

Abruzzi will likely introduced or shown before the new Esperante Model is released. Looking at the photos of the coupe pictures we have here on the site; it appears the Esperante Coupe has a built on top with a rear glass lifting window.
          I wonder if the Esperante will have structural parts underneath that new roof or if they've just added the roof. Also, I think it'd make more sense to introduce the new Esperante before the Abruzzi as once the new car comes out, I suspect interest in the old Esperante will dwindle.

Also, do we know "Abruzzi" is the final name of the car? From what I've heard, "Abruzzi" was just a product codename during development, not sure if it'll stick for he production model.

Comment

I got a little update on the new car over the holidays and was told it is another front mid-engine car. Also hear that the new body style is very nice and should be very well received.

Comment

I got a little update on the new car over the holidays and was told it is another front mid-engine car. Also hear that the new body style is very nice and should be very well received.

Definitely seems to be the direction a lot of sports car makers are going many of the current FM engined cars are amont the best in the world!

Comment

Yes Front Mid is the way to go. Dont fix whats not broken. Now if they can get better tires if/when they return to ALMS we can be a better contender. Doesn't help when Don Panoz needs to needs you to run tires you dont want because of sponsorship.

Comment

Originally posted by LeManns67 View Post
                  Yes Front Mid is the way to go. Dont fix whats not broken. Now if they can get better tires if/when they return to ALMS we can be a better contender. Doesn't help when Don Panoz needs to needs you to run tires you dont want because of sponsorship.
                  Panoz runs whatever tire company sponsors his tracks on his race cars. For awhile it was Pirelli, and now Yokohama. It makes sense since they pay very little in the tire department (tires for a race weekend for an ALMS GT car cost about $35,000 per car every weekend), but unfortunately, Michelins have such a stranglehold on the sport right now that you can't win without them.

Comment

Originally posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
                    Panoz runs whatever tire company sponsors his tracks on his race cars. For awhile it was Pirelli, and now Yokohama. It makes sense since they pay very little in the tire department (tires for a race weekend for an ALMS GT car cost about $35,000 per car every weekend), but unfortunately, Michelins have such a stranglehold on the sport right now that you can't win without them.
                    $35,000 WOW! I had know idea. That is a huge overhead for one race. No wonder they live it. Still wins = sponsors.
                    Last edited by Ackmann; 12-28-2009, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Perhaps this will be the engine that Panoz uses. Maybe a SC or Turbo version to give it a serious run against other major competion.

I still think a Euro Mfg relationship may be in the works out there though.

Comment

$35,000 WOW! I had know idea. That is a huge overhead for one race. No wonder they live it. Still wins = sponsors.
                        But in Panoz' case, Yokohama is their main sponsor so they're fitting a large portion of the bill and probably getting their tires for free. And since Panoz isn't actually supporting PTG at all really anymore they had to take funding in anyway they could, even if it meant slightly inferior tires.

On the other side, Michelin are a bunch of goons and choose who gets their tires, so even if the Don was putting massive money into it, they may not be able to get them, and then if they did, they might not get the latest spec tire.

Comment

Here is a good video of Fast Lane Daily covering the new Ford 5.0 engine. Probably makes sence for the new Esperante to run this engine sense last generation ran the 4.6L. Would like to see the Abruzzi have something far more exotic and powerfull. WORLD CLASS.

As a bonus check out the footage of the Honda HSV-10 (sounds great) and also they show some interesting footage of the new USF1 team facility building a F1 body.

Comment

Here is a good video of Fast Lane Daily covering the new Ford 5.0 engine. Probably makes sence for the new Esperante to run this engine sense last generation ran the 4.6L. Would like to see the Abruzzi have something far more exotic and powerfull. WORLD CLASS.

As a bonus check out the footage of the Honda HSV-10 (sounds great) and also they show some interesting footage of the new USF1 team facility building a F1 body.

http://www.vodcars.com/fastlanedaily...orn-12-28-2009
                            If they want to take the Abruzzi upmarket and make it a true exotic, I think they need to move away from the Ford 4 Cam motors. They're great motors, but for what they are, VERY heavy, and in the eyes of the rest of the motoring world, it's seen as a negative thing they it "just" has a Mustang engine. As much as I love Panoz, having the engine out of a $25K pony car doesn't make me thing "Exotic", but rather, "Convenient".

The Ford relationship has definitely been great for Panoz and the fact that the cars are very reliable and can be serviced at Ford dealers is great, but if they want a true exotic car, I think they need a more special engine to be the heart!

How about the Mercedes AMG 6.3L V8? It's not really a lightweight, but it makes over 500hp out of the box and can easily be pushed to FAR more than that without forced induction. Although the car would be less American if they did that.

I've heard rumors Ford may switch the GT500 over to a twin turbo version of the new Coyote in 2012 or so, perhaps that could make a great engine for the new Panoz?
                            Last edited by WMUCarGuy; 12-31-2009, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
                              If they want to take the Abruzzi upmarket and make it a true exotic, I think they need to move away from the Ford 4 Cam motors. They're great motors, but for what they are, VERY heavy, and in the eyes of the rest of the motoring world, it's seen as a negative thing they it "just" has a Mustang engine. As much as I love Panoz, having the engine out of a $25K pony car doesn't make me thing "Exotic", but rather, "Convenient".

The Ford relationship has definitely been great for Panoz and the fact that the cars are very reliable and can be serviced at Ford dealers is great, but if they want a true exotic car, I think they need a more special engine to be the heart!

How about the Mercedes AMG 6.3L V8? It's not really a lightweight, but it makes over 500hp out of the box and can easily be pushed to FAR more than that without forced induction. Although the car would be less American if they did that.

I've heard rumors Ford may switch the GT500 over to a twin turbo version of the new Coyote in 2012 or so, perhaps that could make a great engine for the new Panoz?
                              Yes your probably right. I too like the american connection and easy service. Best choice would be to keep Esperante Ford supported and the new Abruzzi something European. Would love to see something with McClarenor something from Audi might work as they have a number of engines to choose from. Spyker connection perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                              X