Hydraulic vs Cable clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydraulic vs Cable clutch

I'm just starting the replacement of my cable clutch with hydraulic/slave cylinders. Any thoughts, comments, experiences, suggestions?
    Last edited by oldsoldier; 01-17-2015, 12:28 PM. Reason: a comma....

Can I ask why?
    What's wrong with the cable?
    Seems like a huge job, Master cylinder. Mount etc.

Comment

What's wrong...

The clutch and cable are great! The old guy pushing the pedals (and 82) is woosing out !! My engine is the stage 1 and driving in traffic is not my idea of relaxed motoring. Again thanks for your good words on removing my trans tunnel cover. Just waiting on some fancy woodgrained vinyl stuff for a new covering. Carl

Comment

Seems like a lot of work to me too for little return. Did you rule out just upgrading the quadrant? Lots of companies make nice looking billet aluminum upgrades.

Edit: didn't see your second post. You're 82...so there's hope for me at 66? Just curious, how are the reflexes holding up? I worry myself sometimes.
        1. 1999 Panoz AIV roadster, SCT Xcal2, LDC cooling mod
        2. 2008 Audi S4 Avant
        3. 2014 Mini Cooper S Countryman

Comment

When I first got mine, the clutch was heavy. I Drove a cobra and it was better, I disconnected the cable, it was smooth, but the pivot inside the bell housing was dry. I pulled the boot off the fork and carefully sprayed a little lithium grease into the clutch fork pivot. WOW. What a difference. It's soft and smooth.
          Just a thought, maybe worth checking first.

Comment

Thanks for the good thoughts! My reflexes are fine except when they hit the tennis ball right at my head! I talked to most of the Quadrant people and none could come up with one that would lighten the load. I see you have a Countryman. I bought a '13 with 9M miles recently. How do you like yours? Carl

Comment

Originally posted by oldsoldier View Post
              Thanks for the good thoughts! My reflexes are fine except when they hit the tennis ball right at my head! I talked to most of the Quadrant people and none could come up with one that would lighten the load. I see you have a Countryman. I bought a '13 with 9M miles recently. How do you like yours? Carl
              Well, quadrant was a thought, would've saved some money and effort. Anyway, yeah, the Countryman is nice. We got ours cause my wife had breast cancer and the surgery made it hard for her to push out of the driver's seat of the Mini she had. The higher position of the Countryman lets her more or less just pivot and step out. Neat vehicle though. We got ours with just about 14,000 on it. It had been on of the cars for BMW corporate so hadn't actually been titled yet. Whoever had it kept it spotless.
              1. 1999 Panoz AIV roadster, SCT Xcal2, LDC cooling mod
              2. 2008 Audi S4 Avant
              3. 2014 Mini Cooper S Countryman

Comment

Working...
              X