Esperante Battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Esperante Battery?

Has anyone changed the battery in their Esperante? I know its behind the fender but I was wondering if anyone had recomendations.

Thanks

I needed to change the battery. After realizing that I had to remove the inner wheel well liner, I took the car to a service center who was able to put it up on a rack. This allowed them to get the wheel out of the way. There are multiple screws that need to be removed to get the liner off. That requires you to turn the wheel while the car is elevated to be able to access all the screws. Then it is awkward to pull the battery out and get the new one in and fastened down. Better men than me could do it themselves, but it was worth $25 to have it done for me.

After that lesson, I now keep a Deltran Battery Tender connected to the car using the underhood battery connectors when I don't plan to drive the car for a few weeks and during its winter hibernation in Chicago.
    2006 Panoz Esperante GTLM, 1958 Austin-Healey "Bugeye" Sprite, 1967 Iso Grifo, 1969 Morris Mini Cooper S, 1974 Jensen Healey, 1981 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston, 1991 Lotus Elan, 2002 Mercedes Benz G500, 2004 Lotus Esprit, 2014 Jaguar F-Type, 2012 Audi Q7 TDI (the tow vehicle)

Comment

Yes purchase a optima red battery they are about $135.00
      And are worth it
      Remove RF tire
      Remove RF inner fender well
      Remove neg cable first
      Remove battery hold down bracket
      Remove positive cable remove battery from tray
      Clean and acid that has leak from old battery
      Using permatex battery cleaner or similar product
      Repaint if needed replace battery with optima or
      Motor craft
      Reverse removal procedure

Comment

Thank for the info, since panoz is not listed on the optima website would you happen to know the number of the right battery?

Comment

I think this is the one I purchased Optima Batteries RedTop Starting Battery, Group Size 34/78, 800 CCA I think your best bet is to remove the old battery and bring it with you and they can match it up. You need to anyways because most states charge between $15 and $20 if you do not have a battery to turn in so they do not end up in a landfill
          These batteries sell for $135 to $210 so you will need to negotiate a deal

Comment

I replaced my battery recently and it is not that big a job. Now if I had a mechanic to do it for $25 then that would be my first choice!

I only had to remove 4 screws holding in the wheel liner to get access to the battery. It is a tight fit and you need to be patient but it is not a big deal to remove. The battery sits towards the rear of the fender well.

Panoz Esperante, Maserati Quattroporte, Tesla S

Comment

I used an odyssey battery . It was smaller than the others and had more cranking power . It also cost more . I made new battery hold down and a new tray . While there i painted all of the steel frame work with bill hirsh rust preventive paint . The smaller battery allowed the fender well to sit back a little further ( not rub ) . Took about 30 minutes , not counting fab work and painting .

Comment

One thing to watch out for is that our battery is a type 58r. It looks the same as the more popular type 58 battery but the posts are reversed!

Panoz Esperante, Maserati Quattroporte, Tesla S

Comment

paradon, this is a stupid question but I'll ask since I haven't seen inside the battery compartment yet...Are you saying that the positive and negative posts on the battery are just in different positions than they normally are? Is there any reason for this? I'm just curious.
                  I am guessing it's not a big deal to get a more normal battery, as long as you connect positive to positive and negative to negative.

Comment

Battery finally bite the dust yesterday lasted almost 9 years. Thank you everyone for the very helpful posts which made it a very easy task to replace. The car is actually listed at Advance Auto as needing a 58R battery.

Comment

Working...
                    X