'97 AIV Roadster sold at Mecum Kansas City Dec 2, 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '97 AIV Roadster sold at Mecum Kansas City Dec 2, 2011

I know that pretty much all classic/exotic car prices are down, but should all Panoz owners--Esperantes and AIVs--be concerned over the terribly low price that this '97 AIV went for; or, is the fact that it was a "prior salvage title" and "body off restoration 'certified' by the factory" enough of an element of "damaged goods" to justify a hammer price of only $18,250?

My guess would be the latter. A salvage title is likely the biggest detractor of value that an automobile can have. I know that I wouldn't be interested in the purchasing of one.

Comment

It is a nice car:
      http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...=KC1211-118934

Comment

I dont KNOW?? $18K sounds like an very good deal on the AIV. I know I'm not in the position at the momement, but when I am I would love to get one in that type of price range. A car like that with th esalvaged title gives the new owner a good excuse to go ALL CUSTOM on it. Chop and Speedster the windshield, Remove fenders, True Spoke out some fat old school wheels, find or build a old school wood stearing wheel. Lots of options.

Comment

I just noticed that this is the same AIV that was "sold" for $25,000 at the 2009 Mecum Kansas City auction. What a coincidence! The auction world is such a slippery slope. I bet that the car did not really change hands either time. You have to sign up for Mecum's website to see the details of the auctions, but the description of the salvage title is the same for both the 2009 and 2011 auctions.
          2006 Panoz Esperante GTLM, 1958 Austin-Healey "Bugeye" Sprite, 1967 Iso Grifo, 1969 Morris Mini Cooper S, 1974 Jensen Healey, 1981 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston, 1991 Lotus Elan, 2002 Mercedes Benz G500, 2004 Lotus Esprit, 2014 Jaguar F-Type, 2012 Audi Q7 TDI (the tow vehicle)

Comment

The AIV that "sold" at Mecum is for sale again on ebay this time. Here is the link.
            2006 Panoz Esperante GTLM, 1958 Austin-Healey "Bugeye" Sprite, 1967 Iso Grifo, 1969 Morris Mini Cooper S, 1974 Jensen Healey, 1981 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston, 1991 Lotus Elan, 2002 Mercedes Benz G500, 2004 Lotus Esprit, 2014 Jaguar F-Type, 2012 Audi Q7 TDI (the tow vehicle)

Comment

Interesting. The previous owner lives in my area and had listed on Craigslist for several months. He started at 69k, then 59k, then 49K and finally at 46K when I saw it on the Mecum website prior to the sale. I did not know it was a salvage title but if the factory recertified it, that would be good enough for me. Hopefully it will end up in a good home.
              1999 Roadster AIV #013
              2007 Shelby GT
              2003 Cobra Conv. 10th
              2001 Crown Vic PI
              1998 Lincoln Mark VIII

Comment

Working...
              X